Although the Block Captains are considered the heart of the Neighborhood Response Group structure, you, the resident, are the foundation of the program. Block Captains have their responsibilities to support you but each resident and family have responsibilities also. The City asks that you help by being prepared to the best of your ability to take care of yourself and family for 5-7 days in the event of a large-scale emergency/disaster.
Here are your responsibilities:
- Sign up for emergency alerts at www.alertmarin.org and Nixle.
- Create a family emergency plan, including having an out of area contact and a meeting place that all your family members know .
- Store 5-7 days of food and water for each family member, as well as other personal supplies.
- Create a family evacuation plan: know 2 ways to evacuate from your neighborhood by car, walking or on bike.
- Create a Grab & Go Bag for each family member to take with you if you need to leave your neighborhood quickly.
- Get to know your neighbors and help out if you can. Let neighbors know if you might need help.
- Take first aid training and /or a Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) class.