Tam Valley Sea Level Rise Task Force
Part of the Tam Valley NRG Network
Sea Level Rise Survey Results and Next Steps – April 2021
Thank you to the 163 members of the Tam Valley community who completed the recent survey on sea level rise. Your voices have been heard and are having a strong influence on our planning. Please read the survey summary below and find out what our next steps are.
A large majority of the respondents are acutely aware of the challenges posed by sea level rise in Tam Valley, think we need to start working on solutions right away, and believe we have a collective responsibility to solve the problem. Specifically:
- 71% said that sea level rise needs to be addressed as soon as possible, and another 22% said within 5 years.
- 62% believe that SLR will have either a moderate or high impact on their day to day life by 2035.
- In order of ranking, flooded roads, infrastructure damage, and ecosystem harm were the highest concerns from SLR. Note that nearly a third of respondents stated they were most concerned about their homes being flooded.
- 86% of respondents said that their mobility has been impeded by flooding at least twice, and 38% said more than 10 times.
- Nearly 71% believe that protecting private property is a shared responsibility of the government and the property owner.
- In order of ranking, responsibility for funding infrastructure improvements to increase resilience was #1, state and federal government; #2, local government; and #3, the local community.
- More than 74% said that Tam Valley residents living above the flood zone should contribute financially to resilience measures.
To see the complete data and graphs, click here to download a pdf of the survey results.
We are grateful that we live in a community with so many talented people. Fifty residents so far have expressed an interest in serving in a working group to help figure out how we want to face the looming sea level rise challenge. We invite others to get involved.
Our goal is by December 2022, to produce a prioritized framework for sea level rise mitigation and adaption in Tam Valley that is science-based, realistic, and reflects the will of residents. This framework can then be used to guide decision-making at the local, state, and federal levels.
Our process is collaborative and inclusive, science-based, flexible, responsive to community concerns, and realistic.
Save the Date:
June 17, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. for the Zoom kick-off meeting of our five working groups. Join the meeting HERE
The five areas are:
- Science and engineering – What is scientifically happening? What will actually work?
- Adaptation/Mitigation Options – What makes sense? How do we strike a balance?
- Finance – Resilience bonds, parcel taxes, government bonds … how will this all get paid for?
- Education and public relations – Who needs to know what? How do we build a movement?
- Legal and political – What legal strategies will help or hinder us? Who’s going to help us?
If you want to join in and help with any of these groups, please send your name and interest area to TamValleyNRG@gmail.com. Tell your friends about what we’re doing and invite them to help out.
We appreciate your interest and hope to hear from you about June 17. Join the meeting HERE